PHP is actually a recursive acronym it stands for “PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor”. It is a server-side scripting language that is used for web development. PHP is a very powerful language and today millions of websites on the internet are using PHP.
Almost all popular CMS like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc are made in a PHP language. Today is it an E-commerce or social networking site, PHP is being used everywhere. The popular Facebook website is also made up with the PHP code. If we talk about the history of PHP, then in 1994 Rasmus Lerdorf created PHP which was named “Personal Home Page Tools” to count the visitors of his resume website.
Over time, many changes were made to it, and now it was renamed as “PHP Hypertext Preprocessor” and some new functionalities were added to it.
How does PHP work?
The scripting program written in PHP is always run on the server and its output converted to an Html page. The HTML and CSS code of a website can be viewed on the browser but the user cannot see the PHP code. Because PHP codes are always run in the server and never reach the client’s system.
What is the use of PHP?
- PHP is used to create dynamic website and web application.
- Can connect the website to the database.
- Data can be inserted, updated or deleted in the database through PHP.
- User login system can be created with server side validation.
- With PHP you can decide which page a user can access.
- Forms can be created through which data can be inputted in the database.
- Email can be sent and received.
- Browser’s cookies can be set and accessed.
- Data encryption and decryption can also be done.